Thursday, November 29, 2007

thankful thursday

I've been thinking a lot this week. How to approach this thankful thursday deal. Especially since last week was Thanksgiving. I would hope that just every day mundane things that I think of being thankful for were not misconstrued as ignoring the really big things in life that I really should be thankful for. Not that I'm not, I just didn't feel that I should put them in print. There are times when it seems too personal.

Along the same lines there's a story I'm looking for a reference for. My seminary buddies liked the story but had never heard it. Their reasoning was if 4 seminary teachers and a coordinator haven't heard it before - it didn't happen. Funny. anyhow - I'll throw out the story in the hopes that someone else has heard it and can give me a reference and the correct apostle's name.

A stake president was addressing the congregation at stake conference how he was so thankful for his family and all the things they were doing 'right', you know, return missionaries, temple marriages, eagle scouts, college grads. At the conclusion of his remarks an apostle got up and said, "President, please don't burden the rest of us with all of your blessings."

Somebody, please have a reference for me... And now this week's list:

  • Book Club. I decided this year to participate in book club as an enrichment group. I have to admit it won by default because I don't scrapbook, but I have read books that I never would have. It's also been what I really needed to be around other women.
  • The Book of Mormon. I finished reading it again this week.
  • My car. I usually keep the trip odometer on. Somehow this week it was switched over to the regular odometer. 128,500 miles. Wow. they have been very comfortable 128,500 miles. And still, 3 1/2 years later, my favorite part is when Lexi talks to me, her patience when I turn off-course because I want to avoid the way she's told me to go, she never gives up trying to get me back on course, and my two favorite lines are "When possible, make a legal U-turn," and "You have arrived at your destination." There's a church talk in there somewhere
  • Chocolate covered macadamian nuts. I don't like nuts - until they're smoothered in chocolate and come from Hawaii.
  • Meatloaf. I don't know who invented it, but you can't go wrong with meatloaf on a cool night.

6 comments:

D'On Marx said...

You know, I've never been a big fan of meatloaf as a kid, but I found a great recipe out of a crockpot cookbook. Love it!

Kara said...

I like Lexi too. Although when me, Brad, Shilo and Melissa took your car to California over 3 years ago we named her Vanna. We could find our way and never got lost in busy California. Love it!

Jill Johnson said...

You rock Kim!!

Jenn Shields said...

You're so nice to let all of your kids take Lexi on field trips. She's a trooper!

Kara said...

Brad says that story must be made up. He said they sell that next to the framed quote "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it."

Kim Marx said...

No I really heard it somewhere. But since I can't get a source, I'll just have to forget it. I'm so bad about needing sources....I bought a tile at a craft show and it says something about being 'good for something'. So I get it to put on my seminary sign-in table, but it's driving me crazy to have a GBH quote, and not know if he really said that or not. And don't get me started with deseret book quotes in frames. Their latest.."Prayer changes things" ummmm check the BD, as long as it's changing our will in line with God's, then, yeah, it changes things.