Monday, August 25, 2008

First Day of School!






This piggy bank has adorned the top of every dryer I've ever used. It's for all the change that escapes clothes in the dryer. This bank was part of an important monetary chain in our household. Kids would leave money in their pockets - I'd take it out doing laundry and put it in the piggy bank - they'd ask for money to buy lunch - I would give them money out of the piggy bank. This system worked well from 1986 through 2007.

The bank has continued to collect change, but the payouts lately have been non-existent. So, in celebration of The First Day of School, I'm going to empty the piggy bank for lunch money myself -- Cafe Rio here I come.

There will be no "first day of school" pictures in front of Decker Elementary, but several are starting new classes today. Here's a brief run-down on family members and their school attendance:

GRADUATE SCHOOL:
Brad is the first member of our family to go to graduate school. Classes begin for him today at University of San Diego Law School.

COLLEGE
Ashley begins her senior year at UNLV majoring in Accounting.
Rebekah is taking classes at both CSN/UNLV majoring in Sign Language Interpretation.
Jordan is in his junior year at UNLV majoring in Communications.

Matt received his associates degree last year and is sitting out until Ashley is finished.
Jenn is sitting out this semester as well.
David and Kara are both graduates already.

We are so proud of our kids for making education a priority in their lives. Keep up the good work!

Here's to the first day of school -- Everybody go sharpen a handful of pencils!

8 comments:

Chattin said...

That was cute. Except I write with pen, and when I need pencil (on test day) I take a mechanical one. Today I had child Psych. and as a warm up we had little debates like pro or anti daycare, should boys and girls get treated differently, stuff like that. I'm excited!

Rebekah Mills said...

if it will make you feel better, I can come over and take money out of it if you want :) lol.

Jenn Shields said...

Shoot, I'm always down for some extra lunch money too!

D'On Marx said...

That is such a great idea, actually. Except, we never have change, so that won't work.

Jill Johnson said...

I am so stealing that idea! I hate change in the dryer. I usually put it on the dryer and it falls off then I pick it up and so on.... I am getting Mr. Pig tomorrow!

Jennie Z said...

What a great idea for that annoying change in the laundry! I am stealing it too!

Audrey Taylor said...

Love the piggy bank. You couldn't go without it now, too many memories. You are so filled with good ideas!

Heidi said...

Ha, the pencil thing reminds me of one of my favorite lines from the movie, You've Got Mail. They're talking about fall and sending a fresh bouquet of newly sharpened pencils!