Friday, March 25, 2011

Dear Carson:
Oh, how I hope you are the pianoman of my future.  You must convince your parents at about age 7, that your life will not go on if you do not have piano lessons.  You will promise to do well in school, continue practicing your free throws (because we all know that the game can be won on good free throw averages, and to be honest, not to hurt your feelings, but just from observing the last 12 months, I don't think your height is going to get you a slam dunk shot on the team - but if you can out manuever and always make a swish, you'll be a real asset.) So to repeat, convince your mom that you can do your school work and play sports and read your scriptures and learn to play the piano. 

This you must do because in about 10 years, on a Sunday evening I'd like to find myself fixing Sunday dinner as usual and you can play lovely hymn arrangements in the background.  And I will smile.  And when you come over on the off days, you can rock a mean Amadeus.  And I will smile.  And you can learn Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin songs and Uncle Scotty will sing them. And I will smile.  And maybe we could talk your cousin Charlie into playing too, and you two could do duets.  And I will smile.

See all of the grandma smiling that is in my future?  o.k.?  Deal.

2 comments:

Ashley Marx said...

i fully support this plan... one of my biggest regrets is not sticking with my piano lessons!

Jenn Shields said...

Cute post. As much as he loves to pound piano keys at the grandma's houses, we're have to give piano lessons in a few years a shot.