Monday, February 25, 2008

IN JILL'S FOOTSTEPS

My vacuum has died. I had a Bissell canister that has lasted the longest out of any vacuum I've ever owned - over 5 years. But today it was sounding funny and I lifted up the power head and the brush was barely turning. I thought it was the belt so I went for the screwdriver. The belt is fully intact - but the little engine was smoking and smelling.

I've spent an hour on the web looking to see if I could order just a new powerhead. Didn't find one. I did find a new motor for the inside at a cost of $98. That's almost half the cost of the whole vacuum.

I went to consumer reports to see what they said about vacuums but I guess you have to be a member for them to let you know all this. So I'll throw this out there for your suggestions. I have a house with stairs so I need to be able to vacuum steps. Bagless vacuums give me the heebe-jeebies, so I think I need to be able to pull all the gunk out neatly gathered in a disposable bag.

What are your favorite brands?

3 comments:

Chattin said...

I know, right? I wanted a vacuum with bags for our house, but Taylor's aunt (the one you met, so you can prob just picture this) insisted we get a bagless one, and she was paying so I was like alright fine, but yes I do prefer ones with bags, idc if bagless is more cost effective, you just take out the bag n ur done, you just get more dust everywhere with bagless when you dump it out.

Heidi said...

I've said it once I'll say it again--love love my Kenmore canister vacuum.....and it's not bagless!

Jenn Shields said...

hey we need a vaccuum too. you should buy us one while you're out.