Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Loyalties and Flip Flops

I miss our old ward and stake. And to all that have sent messages of hello - right back at you. We're hoping to drop in on Chicken on the Hill for some fabulous food, visiting and cooler weather.

It's not that I'm not happy to be in the Highland Hills Stake, I'm just . . .new. I haven't been to any stake meetings yet, don't really know the Stake Presidency. I'm well seasoned enough to know that they are men called of God, and give it some time, you'll love them. But I wasn't there yet. I was just attending my meetings and trying to meet new people.

This Sunday, in one brief moment, it happened. I fell in LOVE with the Highland Hills Stake. Isn't it cool how the process works? A simple written announcement, that not many people noticed, caught my eye. It was as if the Stake sent out a personal welcome to me!

I took my back row seat in Relief Society and was handed an announcement sheet. There, buried after the scrapbooking, cannery order, play group, and cub scout activities was this little gem:

"RS GENERAL BROADCAST: The Stake Relief Society is hold a dinner and then viewing the broadcast on September 26th. Dinner will start at 6 p.m. They will be holding a "flip-flop" and "sidewalk chalk" drive. Please bring in donations of these items. Also, they encourage us to wear a summer dress with flip flops that evening."

Do you see that? Flip Flops. I've just been given permission to wear flip flops to church!!! Woot.


Oh the possibilities, which ones shall I wear? Today I was sporting the brown beaded pair. Blue paisley, plain black? So many choices, so little time. I know, I know, a pedicure is in order, I tried yesterday but my favorite foot handler, Tammy, took a day off. I'll get in sometime soon.


But I digress. This announcement is monumental in my world. Permission...no...encouragement, to wear flip flops. To church.

I will bring sidewalk chalk. I will bring flip flops. I will wear a summer dress and this evening, flip flops. As I sit in the chapel in my flip flops, I will soak up the words of love and encouragment from living prophets of God.

And then come Sunday, I will follow an Apostle's admonition, and put my flip flops aside in leiu of my "Sunday best"

I'm going to LOVE this Stake.

2 comments:

Screwed Up Texan said...

True and Funny Story:

When I was attending Ricks College ten years ago (Oh My...has it really been that long?) I had to sign the Honor Code which was no problem EXCEPT the part that said I couldn't wear thongs to class. That part really freaked me out because I couldn't figure for the life of me who would even *want* to wear those things.

Then one day I "got" it and laughed at myself. For over a year I thought that my professors were going to perform a Random Underwear Test on me in class.

Thongs = Flip Flops. Duh!

Missty said...

What a liberal stake you have there. ;o) lol I mean... flip flops?? The whole stake is going to hell in a handbasket. This stuff cracks me up. Sorry but it does... I mean... Jesus wore sandals... and had a ton of facial hair.... and didn't wear a white shirt.