Wednesday, June 18, 2008

An Elton John Concert 33 years later !!!

Let me explain. Waayyyy back in 1975 my older sister, Lisa, went to the Elton John concert at Dodger stadium. I wanted to go, too. BAD. I begged and begged but my mother wouldn't hear of it. In fact, I think it's safe to say Lisa probably barely skinned by with permission to go. She would have just graduated making me around 8th grade. I thought Lisa should take me along. My other friend's older brothers and sisters would take them to cool stuff too, but No. Lisa didn't agree, probably because this concert involved a date with one of numerous Daves. Imagine my disappointment went the next morning on the cover of the LA Times was a picture of five white grand pianos with the lids spelling out E-L-T-O-N, the lids were lifted and doves were flying out. I had missed it.

No matter what Elton has done in his personal life the last 33 years, I look beyond it (the same can't be said about all past musical loves, cough cough, Michael Jackson) Sir Elton has my loyalty. When it was announced he would be playing a Caesar's several weeks a year, The Red Piano Tour, I was excited - Finally after all these years, I can go see him. Then came the sticker shock. $600 tickets. I don't think so....I can buy a lot of 'best of' CDs before I spend $1200 to go to a concert. Even the cheap seats at the time were $200.

So as the ebb and flow of life continued I was fine with radio, CD, and iPod playlists. Then last Thursday in one phone call my life was changed. Bekah was on the phone. David could get tickets for Friday night, you interested? YES. I had to look up at Ron who was looking at me with a strange look on his face - "Elton, you want me to go see Elton?" This is very much like the look I give him when he suggest I accompany him to ride a motorcycle 1,000 miles through Baja. "Yes, I'll take the tickets whether dad wants to go or not!"



My cell phone picture taking abilities do not give the experience justice at all. Our seats were sooo close. I had a blast. I loved all the songs. Finally, after 33 years I have redemption. Take that Lisa - I bet you were on the 2nd balcony at Dodger Stadium.

Ron and I finished off the evening with dinner at the Cheesecake Factory.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

Sounds like a blast.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that's one of the funniest/sad story ever!

You're the BEST Kim!! :)

Chattin said...

AWE!!! That's so awesome!

Jenn Shields said...

I think its cute you and dad went on a date!

Heidi said...

Sounds like a perfect evening - good tunes and yummy food. What else do you need?