Saturday, December 26, 2009

CHRISTMAS EVE - THE DINNER

This year's dinner had some good and bad points. Christmas blessing #1 came when I was grocery shopping. I have wanted to try prime rib for several years, but the cost has scared me away. This year I went to Sam's Club and bought a pot roast and figured I would make other nice dishes to go with it. Needed Garlic. Which meant I had to stop at Smith's on the way home. In SC's defense, they sell garlic - but it's about 30 cloves, for only $3, but still, what am I going to do with 30 cloves of garlic??? As I walked into Smith's, they had moved a refrigerated thing at the front of the store where you that had various items for a Christmas dinner. I stopped to look at the meat, it was the prime rib roast - but they had the manager's marked down sticker on them. I couldn't believe it. Right there was the roast that was normally 9.99/lb. on sale for 2.99/lb. I was so excited. Merry Christmas to me, and thank you Smith's butcher.

That was a good point.

Mid-day on Christmas Eve was time to start cooking. I've had double ovens in the last 3 houses, so I didn't stop to think at all about my oven situation. This house has one...small...oven. Whoops. Once the roast was in, nothing else would be cooking. Had I thought through my logistics the day before, I would have sent Ron to storage to find one of my roasters. But now we'll have to deal with the one oven situation. I fixed the potatoes, and drove them over to Ashely's to bake. I adjusted the vegetable dish I was going to make and just steamed green beans....pumpkin pies did not get baked.

That was just a point where I was irritated with myself for not thinking of the oven situation ahead of time.

Ashely walked in and asked what she could do to help. She was kind enough to get the deviled eggs ready.

I placed the plate in the fridge to stay cool until dinner was served. Nothing worse than warm deviled eggs. But the fridge was kind of full. I put the plate on top of a container of sour cream. That was surrounded by towering yogurts.

A few minutes after the fridge door was closed there was a crashing sound. The plate of eggs fell down the back of the fridge. So plate of eggs ruined. Smeared yoke filling all down the back of my refrigerator. Cleaning the fridge wasn't on my to-do list, but guess what I did at 11 p.m.
This was a bad point.


We had a kid's table this year!

The menu:
  • prime rib
  • glazed carrots
  • steamed green beans
  • potatoes au gratin w/mushrooms and blue cheese
  • cranberry salad
  • jello with stuff in it
  • crescent rolls

The dinner, if I do say so myself was yummy. Not because I enjoyed it that night (i never enjoy it after I've cooked all day..) but on Sunday after church Ron and I had the leftovers and it was great.

You might ask - where are the Christmas plates? The Sunday dishes are blue, couldn't use those (blue plates would have clashed with Christmas tablecloth), the china is still packed away. I had Ron take me to the storage trailer to get what I thought was the bin of Christmas dishes, but when I opened it 30 minutes before the food was ready to set the table, it was only the dessert plates, and two serving bowls. So no Christmas plates this year. That was a bad point.

It turned out to be a lovely meal, everyday white corel plates and all.


2 comments:

Chattin said...

Sorry about all the mishaps =/ I woulda been so flustered I probably would have cried. But it sounds like it turned out okay

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!