Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Retro Thanksgiving

Ron & I headed out to the sand dunes for Thanksgiving. The kids had dinner with their inlaws. I lost my camera....

Lacking current Turkey day shots, I share with you Retro Thanksgiving:
Left to right around the bird: Bill (my grandfather, who we've always called by his first name), Virginia (?), Mom, Uncle Leonard, LoLo - great-grandmother, Aunt Prunie, Kim, Lisa, Grandma Pack.

Oops, we couldn't see the baby, Grandma Pack and Kim switched places.

This is my great-grandmother Laura who we called Lo-Lo and one of her 4 sisters, I believe it's Virginia, I know it's not Blanche or Anna Belle, but my mother will have to comment and correct me. This is why I love this picture:
  • My mother's wedding portrait is hanging in the background
  • The Chopin bust on the piano, I miss that! I totally should have requested that momento
  • Grandma's piano. One day she redecorated and decided the piano should be refinished in an off-white with antiqueing look. It looked fabulous when she finished and it was always the center piece of her livingroom.
  • the glasses
  • the dresses
  • the sweet potatoes that were eaten at this meal. Lo-Lo always made the sweet potatoes.

Enjoy this shot of my mother and me. I was only allowed in the livingroom for photo-ops. At first it was because just to the left of us in the picture was the big stereo cabinet usually playing a record, and when I would stomp or run through the livingroom (their words, not mine "stop running" "Don't stomp so heavy, can't you just walk?") it caused the needle to skip. As time went on numerous expensive fragile items were added to the livingroom that little girls just didn't need to run around and break.

After recovering from Thanksgiving, I am trying desperately to get the house decorated and festive looking. Something I learned from my youth:


Tune in tomorrow for a peek at Christmas from the 60s. And birthday shots. Classics.

Thanks so much to my brother who scanned all of my dad's slides into digital files!

2 comments:

Jill Johnson said...

Those pictures are awesome. Your Mom is beautiful. Have you ever seen the movie Mommy Dearest? That picture of you and her in the living room could totally be a scene from that movie.

Heidi said...

When I see older holiday photos like that, what I love is how everyone is dressed so nicely for Thanksgiving dinner and sitting in the dining room with the fancy plates. A couple weeks ago we were wearing jeans and t-shirts as we sat in folding chairs and ate off of paper plates!!