Thursday, December 11, 2008

more Retro Thanksgiving

Thanks for the comments. I only remember the screaming wire coat hangers scene from Mommy Dearest. The movie I think reminds me of my childhood the most is Apollo 13. The first time I watched that movie I was mezmorised. The engineers were all using slide rules and pocket protectors just like my dad. And don't you think Kathleen Quinlan resembles my mom in that movie - they even stole the clock we had hanging in the kitchen. Just proves how hip and stylish my mom was when I was little (and still is).

my parents are on the left. (Do you think Scott resembles my dad?)

I like how Prunie's hair is now sporting the Twiggy look. (straight behind me - I'm the one with the roll stuffed in my mouth) ((and no, Prunie is not her real name, she's legally Laura, but it's always been Aunt Prunie to me))



Great Aprons!

What does a typical Thanksgiving table look like for my family 39 years later? Traditional setting and casual people The Perfect Mix
Looking back on these photos - is it any wonder I have an obsession with dishes, serving pieces, and table linens. I recently pulled out all of my tablecloths, refolded and arranged them -- let's just say I have a lot (easily over 50). I doubt that you would ever come to my house and be served on paper plates. I have everyday dishes, Sunday nice dishes, and china. I have enough clear glass plates to feed the whole extended Marx family. If I was in charge of a ward Christmas dinner - yeah, we'd bust out all those plates in the church kitchen for sure. (for a ward dinner you're spending over $50 in paper goods, when it takes 3 people about 20 minutes to wash all the dishes, spend the extra $ on the food...) Just a little quirky like that.

still to come: Lisa & Kim's many matching dresses, '50s and '60s nick-nacks, birthday parties.

7 comments:

Jenn Shields said...

And that's no lie.. good thing you have a butlers pantry to house all those linens, plates, silverware, and don't forget enough mini salt&pepper canisters for 50 tables!

Chattin said...

Keep 'em coming! You know me, picture-holic over here, especially the oldies!

Kim Marx said...

mini salt & pepper shakers: I have 12, so enough for 6 banquet tables putting 1 set on each end of the table. What I don't have is a good way to serve butter. That could be this year's project.

Anonymous said...

think... butter spray oh ya

D'On Marx said...

Just lovin' these pictures. They're great.

Anonymous said...

who is on your right in the third to last picture, and why is her head photoshopped onto her body?

Heidi said...

more great pictures - maybe you could ask Santa for butter dishes.
And I vote Kim Marx in charge of the next ward party - sit down with all the proper table linens and fancy dishes!!!