Thursday, September 18, 2008

Please pay Them, so They can pay Me, so I can pay. . .

It's more than just stories on the news every night,





it's personal.

We have contractors that can't pay us for work performed, because they can't get funding. Since we're the first sub in on the job, it's not unusual that they pull permits and get going as 'the paperwork catches up.' By the time we turn in our first billing, funding is secured, construction control is set up, and we get paid. Not any more. Experienced developers are going to financial institutions they have used for years and are unable to be funded for their current project.

Every other week we will receive a fax from a contractor saying something like, "Thank you for bidding on Project X. We appreciate the time and effort involved in bidding a project of this nature. The owner has decided to postpone this project because they are unable to arrange funding."

It's tough, but we're hanging in there. Every week we look at each other and say, 'at least we're still working' We may not be getting paid, but we're working. Yippee.

These are the times that try men's souls.

I came across this scripture last year and I truly believe in it:
"And inasmuch as you are diligent and humble, and exercise the prayer of faith, behold, I will soften the hearts of those to whom you are in debt, until I shall send means unto you for your deliverance. . .I will soften the hearts of those to whom you are in debt, that it shall be taken away out of their minds to bring affliction upon you."
D&C 104:80-81

Personally, we sit o.k. Not great and ahead of the game like we used to be 18 months ago. But our basic needs are nominal. It's just keeping the company going, there's so much, insurance policies, taxes, fees, labor, materials, it's enough to keep you up at night.

So last night I started listing all of the ways, despite the 8-5 problems, we have been blessed:
  • Scott is on a mission. Not only did he go, but I am confident that he went in the spirit of his own testimony, not because it was expected of him. He's doing so awesome.
  • My pantry is full, my freezers are full. I hardly ever go grocery shopping (like twice in the last 3 months), but I haven't noticed that it's affected my pantry. I could probably hang on for another month if I need to (with a $20 trip in for milk and fresh fruits and veg.) I just don't enjoy those shopping trips after a couple of months where you have a list for Costco, a list for Smiths, a list for Smart 'n Final. I prefer to keep up on it weekly, but we've been just fine.
  • We've been able to work on landscaping our backyard. Slowly but surely. and inexpensively.
  • We've been able to reorganize the office
  • We have the cutest grandchildren! Drew/Charlie, Hallie- whatever they're doing or getting into, they're all so darn cute!
  • Our children are living their lives as happy, productive adults.

I hate to have a downer blog on what seems sometimes to be a place where it's customary to post only the best about your life (complete with current professions family portraits -- And since when is it required to take maternity pictures??? You know, the baby will come and be loved and grow up to be fine if you don't get maternity shots taken...but I digress) So anyhow - this random rant is over. Life is good.

I'll leave you with a line that Pres. Hinckley gave in a talk that has been rolling around in my brain for the last year (maybe 7 years): "There is a portent of stormy weather ahead." (portent def. " an indication or omen of something about to happen, esp. something momentous. ")

I resolve to LISTEN and FOLLOW THE PROPHET more. Look how much we've been prepared for today! Despite current conditions, I'm so excited for what the future will bring.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Times are tough, but way to look at the positive. Sometimes in our lives, if our basic needs are met and our children are healthy and happy, what else matters?
And I hear you on the maternity photos - one of my biggest pet peeves. Especially the ones where the woman's exposing her naked pregnant belly!

Kara said...

It's required to take pregnancy pictures when you don't live near siblings and/or friends and you want to see how cute they are pregnant. I think it's a good thing to have for journal/scrapbooking/memory purposes.

Kim Marx said...

i don't mind 'belly shots' to show family how you're looking. I like getting those, especially like you say when they live away from family. It's the professionally posed for pregnancy portraits I don't get.

Jill Johnson said...

Don't you wish you could look into the crystal ball and see a couple years down the road? We are in the right/wrong business. Forclosures are keeping us busier than we can be, but it all will come to an end and then what?

As for Maternity photo's, I was asked once to take pictures for a friend (crazy one) of her nursing her baby!! YUCK!!!

Christen said...

This is Kara's sister. I really enjoyed this post. It's all about how we handle the trial, right? At least that's what we talked about in RS today. I actually got to listen for once! :)

And EEW to the above comment. Photos of you nursing? Cuz that's what I want when I grow up- fabulous pictures of my mother nursing me. Good golly.