Tuesday, June 09, 2009

It's a miracle

The transformation that turns this boy:

Into this man:



52 weeks down

52 to go
No tears today - just a happy dance.

Check back in 365 days for more airport pictures!!!

Scott was speaking of miracles as well. Here's his letter this week:

Dear mother,


Well I guess every thing has to come full circle. Sometime a year ago today I was sitting in the airport and a nice man saw my tag and took me to get an ice cream. He was flying to Texas for business and he was a member from Alaska. We had an interesting talk about the weather, my family, and what the next two years would be like learning a language and teaching people about the Lords true gospel here on the earth today.

Looking back on the year, I must say that it has been a ride. From the ctm till now has been a rush of excitement with ups and downs, happy moments and sad letdowns, but through it all I’ve gotten stronger in the faith and closer to my Father in heaven and His Only Begotten. I can tell you with a whole heart that this church is true. That our God is a god of miracles. Sitting in that airport a year ago, I didn’t know that, I had a hope of that. I can now say that that hope has grown into faith. In the 3rd chapter of 1st Nephi there’s a promise that almost every buddy in the whole church knows that is the Lord never gives us a commandment except before providing a way (or method). Last night I realized as I was giving a message at an *integration night. That I came, I’m completing a commandment of the Lord that every young man from 19 to 26 needs to serve a mission, I’m doing my best and the Lord is providing the way -- and in my case the Lord gave my specific assignment in Portuguese. He is providing a way and is blessing me and my companion for our efforts. I can say with a firm belief that our God is a god of miracles.

The area is good. My comp isn’t too happy with me ‘cause I marked an appointment at 10 this morning and its p-day, so he isn’t too happy. He also isn’t happy that I insist on using the internet here at the chapel cause there’s only one cpu that works and will have to take 3 hours not 1 and a half (if we were to go to a internet cafe). But here the cpu are free and its faster and I don’t have to wait if there are a lot of people and there’s air conditioning in the room here so it’s way better.

So far every brasilian comp I’ve had has always told me that I’m the worst American when it comes to money. That I have a "gringo card" (as they call it) or in other words, a card that my parents give me money on. The thing is, yea, I get a little money but I’m not going to go spend it if I don’t have to, or if I don’t want to, or if there’s internet for FREE! but whatever. I’m just careful with my money that’s all.

We are teaching a good group of people that I have faith will get baptized. Nothing too important on the news here in the mission. Everything is good here in the promised land. I love you all and hope you all have a good week until week 53 HAHAHAHA CRAZY!!

Love the one and only Elder Marx

*integration night is when they have a game a message and people from the branch come and integrate with our investigators

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha im on a spanish computerthis wasthe only way to talk

Alyssa McVey said...

Isn't the halfway point so great! Miss you guys.

Alyssa McVey said...

Hey Kim. I haven't been in Vegas my whole life. I was in St. George for about 11 years. I've been back in Vegas for 5 years. Another summer won't kill us. :) The heat can make Tim pretty sick though because of his MS. That's why we're trying to move. How's Shadow Ridge?