Tuesday, May 13, 2008

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO????


My New Year's resolution was to take harp lessons. There were some logistics involved, the biggest being I needed a harp. Finally, it's here. And I've started lessons. And I can play different variations of twinkle twinkle little star. Woo-Hoo!


This all started last summer when Jenn got engaged. She came in and said, "I'm getting married. Scott's leaving on a mission. What are you going to do?" This dawned on each of the kids as one-by-one they started asking me the very same question.


What am I going to do? Don't worry, I've got a whole list.

I've wanted to play the harp since I was first married. Wasn't even a remote possibility then. And I didn't know anyone in Vegas that played so I just thought about it. We spent a year and a half in Phoenix, and I knew there was a lot of harps there, so I thought maybe then I could look into it. But I was still really busy getting kids to and from seminary, school, practices, dances, parties, movies, friends' houses...


Seems now I have some time free'd up, time to dust off The List.


After some internet searching I found a teacher and bonus, she's close by. Researched all the various types of harps. Figured out what kind of harp music I really wanted to play, which determined which type of harp to get. Found out that you really can't even buy one here in town. The used market isn't very large nation-wide either, so buying one for half of the cost of a new one wasn't an option. Plus you need to 'play' it to make sure you like the tone, etc. Who knew every harp sounded different? Anyway, everything has fallen into place and I was able to get a harp and start lessons.


We'll just see how it all goes from here. But I'm pretty excited. I'll have to take a picture of my harp in my house and get it on here because it's prettier than the stock picture above. But for now, that's the latest and greatest.


Next up - witnessing the Aurora Borealis in person.

6 comments:

Chattin said...

Harps are soo pretty!! I always picture angels playing them. You will have to learn ((well you dont HAVE to)) Sting's "Fields of Gold" and play it at my wedding. I cannot for the life of me find "Fields of Gold" without the words. I want it for the precessional. It would be soooo pretty and I could be like "yup, that's my favorite aunt playing for me"! That alone would be your present to me <3 =) Ok, I've gone off on a tangent. Ok post pics and a little sample of your playing soon! <3

Jenn Shields said...

I LOVE IT!!

Ashley and Matt Marx said...

It is so pretty and I can't wait until you get really good and start playing really cool songs. Not that I don't love your current song that you can play.

Richard and Joleen said...

WOW! What a neat thing to do.
I want a recital the next time I'm in town. Good luck and have fun.

Jill Johnson said...

I am so excited you finally got it!! Is this the one you ordered? Have you been waiting all this time?

camille kempton said...

Good luck with the harp lessons. You are so ambitious!